Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Review: And Another Thing...

And Another Thing... And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

And Another Thing... 
by Eoin Colfer
Series: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Book 6)
Hardcover: 276 pages
Publisher: Hyperion; 1 edition (October 12, 2009)

I have to start out by letting you know, I'm a HUGE Douglas Adams fan (who isn't?).  I saw this book and thought, well Mr. Adams didn't really know when to stop so why should his estate?  Eoin Colfer is a outstanding writer so that should be a plus.  As it turns out this is not the book I was hoping it to be.  

There is some entertainment in this book, to be sure, but there is just something missing.  It was entertaining,  some typical moments with Ford Prefect, Arthur Dent, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillian and many of the beloved cast of characters.  Eoin Colfer has the verbal abilities to create the wordplay Douglas Adams could do best.  In this book jumping back and forth between the "Guide," the footnotes, and the action going on in space, Eoin Colfer tells a great story.  

So, you are probably asking right now, what is wrong with the book?  Technically nothing.  I was moderately entertained but for some reason I just couldn't stay focused on the book.  I would stop and start several times and finally just forced myself to read and not get distracted, thanks to COVID-19 I had the time.  It just wasn't as good as Douglas Adams.  Maybe that's it, I just miss Douglas Adams.  

I would like to give the audiobook a listen, maybe with a well performed multicast version it would hold my interest.  I still would tell all "Hitchhiker's Guide" fans to give it a shot, but just know that it may make you miss Douglas Adams.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment