Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Review: This Is Our Youth

This Is Our Youth This Is Our Youth by Kenneth Lonergan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

“This Is Our Youth”

By Kenneth Lonergan

Narrated by: Mark Ruffalo, Missy Yager, Josh Hamilton

Length: 1 hr and 41 mins

Published September 25th 2009 by LA Theatre Works


This almost could have been me. I was a teen in the Reagan 80s, and well smoking pot was the thing to do. I didn't live in a big city, my dad wasn't rich and well, I guess maybe this couldn't have been me. I never got the chance to steal $15k from my dad when he kicked me out, Instead I joined the Navy. It's official, nope not me.


However I do know these people in this play. But first let's talk about the actors in this performance from L.A. Theatre Works. This is Mark Ruffalo before he was the Incredible Hulk in those Marvel movies. In fact, this production is a reunion of sorts. The original cast from the off broadway original production got back together with the original director to do this show for LATW. I'm sure that when originally performed back in 1996 the actors were closer to the age of the teenagers they portrayed than when getting back together for this performance, but I can tell you that they seemed to fit right back in with those characters.


Warren (played by Ruffalo) is kicked out of his rich dad's house. To get revenge he steals $15,000 from his dad and heads to his friend, Dennis' apartment. The two potsmokers decide they need to get the money back, but Warren has already spent a sizable chunk of the cash. Now they need to get back the money so they can sneak the original amount back into Warren's dads house. The plan is to buy some cocaine and sell enough to make back their money plus the missing amount and do the rest themselves.


While Dennis is out getting the coke, Warren gets a visit from Jessica. Jessic and Warren take another chunk of the money and party on the town, even renting out a ritzy hotel room. This just makes it harder to make the money back so the scheming begins.


I strongly feel this play could be performed even today and still be relevant. If you want a cool theatre audio experience this would be a great choice. If you want to perform a play touching out today's youth, this play would still be a great choice.


Once again LATW has brought to life a play to the audio audience that will put you in the middle of the performance.


Publisher's Summary

Starring Mark Ruffalo, Josh Hamilton and Missy Yager, the original cast was reunited for this exclusive L.A. Theatre Works performance of This is Our Youth.

In 1982, on Manhattan's Upper West Side, three pot-smoking teenagers are resoundingly rejecting the 1960s ideals of their affluent parents. In hilarious and bittersweet detail, This is Our Youth follows 48 turbulent hours in the lives of three very lost souls at the dawn of the Reagan Era.

©2009 L.A. Theatre Works (P)2009 L.A. Theatre Works


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment