Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Review: The Globe: The Science of Discworld II

The Globe
The Globe by Terry Pratchett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars








The Globe: The Science of Discworld II: A Novel
By: Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart, Jack Cohen
Narrated by: Steven Briggs, Michael Fenton Stevens
Series: Science of Discworld, Book 2
Length: 12 hrs and 46 mins
Release date: 01-20-15

I dabbled in fantasy fiction back in the 80s and part of the 90s. I became curious about the genre after getting addicted to playing the RPG "Dungeons & Dragons." It seemed I should study the characters in the game, so a friend recommended to me the Discworld books by Sir Terry Pratchett. I immediately was sucked into this humorous romp through the fantasy genre that all happened on disc world which was sitting on top of 4 elephants which were forever fixed upon a turtle flying through space. Weird but fun.

A few college degrees later I felt as if I grew out of the fantasy genre and became more interested in biographies and sci-fi. Well, the sci-fi was my return to fun and I remembered the Discworld. I thought, well, that's sci-fi mixed with fantasy. So after a little justification I looked to see what I missed. I then found these Science of Discworld, in which Pratchett and friends started explaining science not just of Discworld but the real world. The lessons in physics and science from these books seemed to soak into my brain better than most of my college classes.

In this book we return to to the library of the wizards in which they have "created" Roundworld, or rather Earth. This time the elves have discovered the roundworld and wish to make it their own. While the wizards were only interested in the science of such a world they forgot about the inhabitants (humans especially). The elves, not so much. The elves quickly learned how to take advantage of the superstitious creatures of Roundworld.

The wizards soon have to travel through time to fix and get humans back on track. In doing so this book soon gives the reader an interesting insight to evolution, creativity and language development.

It's funny that a book such as this can entertain and educate in such a manner that makes learning fun and really, accidental.

The audiobook performers are such great comedic actors that you forget your listening to an audiobook but rather travelling to discworld with the wizards. They make the book so much fun to hear.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment