Wednesday, December 09, 2020

Review: Fake

Fake Fake by Eric Simonson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

“Fake”

By: Eric Simonson

Narrated by: Francis Guinan, Kate Arrington, Coburn Goss, Alan Wilder, Larry Yando

Length: 2 hrs and 5 mins

Published June 1st 2010 by LA Theatre Works


I have been looking into several plays lately (for reasons yet to be discussed) and having know the quality works put out by L.A. Theatre Works, I've been diving into several of their productions. This is one of the them and I'll let you know the acting and audio production is superb as always. This manner not only gets me familiar with plays it also lets me know how talented individuals have translated these plays.


I'm not looking for any specific type of play, just wanting to know more of what's out there. My reviews here are a bit short, since I am just looking for a summary for now, some plays have stood out and I have a bit more to say, so just bear with these performance reviews, and know there's a reason to my madness. I'm still reading and listening to regular prose books/audiobooks, so they'll be interspersed with the other reviews. (eventually)


This play discusses the events that led to the debunking of “The Piltdown Man” In 1912, archaeologists in Piltdown, England discovered a skull purported to be from a creature providing the missing link between man and ape. In 1953, the Piltdown skull was debunked as fake. Simonson spends the play time to try to figure why and whether well known author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was involved.


Intermingled with discussions of politics and religion the answer is never really discovered. However, listening to this performance the audience does get the chance to wax philosophic. Entertaining and even thought provoking this looks like it may be a fun play to produce. I'm putting this toward the top of my list.


Publisher's Summary

Oscar-winning and Tony-nominated writer and director Eric Simonson explores the most famous archeological hoax in history. Alternating between 1914 and 1953, journalists and scientists set out to uncover who planted the Piltdown Man skull. Everyone's a suspect, including legendary Sherlock Holmes author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.


An L.A. Theatre Works full-cast performance featuring Kate Arrington, Coburn Goss, Francis Guinan, Alan Wilder and Larry Yando.


Fake is part of L.A. Theatre Works’ Relativity Series featuring science-themed plays. Major funding for the Relativity Series is provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation to enhance public understanding of science and technology in the modern world.


©2010 L.A. Theatre Works (P)2010 L.A. Theatre Works




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment