Monday, December 14, 2020

Review: Mizlansky/Zilinsky

Mizlansky/Zilinsky Mizlansky/Zilinsky by Jon Robin Baitz
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

“Mizlansky/Zilinsky”

By Jon Robin Baitz

Performed by: Nathan Lane, Paul Sand, Grant Shaud, Rob Morrow, Julie Kavner, Richard Masur, Harry Shearer, Kurtwood Smith, Robert Walden

Length: 1 hr and 46 mins

Produced by L.A. Theatre Works

Release date: 05-07-08


This time around in my play research, I'm looking for something a little light-hearted. Going to my reliable source for play productions I look at L.A. Theatre Works for something. LATW always comes through with some great plays with stellar casts and outsanding production that puts you right smack dab in the middle of the audience. So, knowing, this will be a play I want to hear I start looking. (I'm still reading a couple of plays in book form, so I needed something to fill those downtimes.)


The first thing that grabs me with this production is the cast. Two of the members of the cast are regular voice actors on “The Simpsons,” Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer, I already love Nathan Lane and Rob Morrow, so I think immediately this will be fun. And fun it is...actually fun is a bit of an understatement.


Nathan Lane plays Davis Mizlansky a Hollywood producer trying to avoid the IRS. He's now in the business of selling tax shelters in the form of Bible stories on tape. When a big Oklahoma money man, Horton De Vries, played by Kurtwood Smith (Red Forman from “That 70s Show”) has some potential buyers things get interesting, especially since Horton seems to be an anti-semite unknowingly working with the Mizlansky/Zilansky jewish duo.


That being the meat of the story in my opinion the funniest bits are between Davis and his assistant. Some funny stuff there. Check this out. Now if I can find a stage to perform this I think more laughs can be found.


Publisher's Summary

Italian shoes, a house in the hills, a gift for stretching the truth, and a petulant assistant to pick the scallions out of his Szechuan noodles - Hollywood producer Davis Mizlansky has it all. But he's about to lose it to the IRS unless he can pull off one more deal. A stellar cast performs this hilarious send-up of modern-day Hollywood.

©2007 L.A. Theatre Works (P)2007 L.A. Theatre Works


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment